Our parking problems in Venice do not go away. For those who live in Venice, it is a constant source of aggravation and annoyance. For the visitors shopping and dining here, it is a source of confusion and anxiety. ImagineVenice advocates a multi-pronged approach to this problem with holistic solutions towards eliminating or mitigating our community problems. We want to address the following parking issues that are currently b eing reviewed by various City agencies listed below. Proposed block long Automated Private Parking Structure on Electric between Santa Clara and California Avenues.
Proposed conversion of Grand Boulevard, Rialto Avenue, Windward Avenue, Market Street and San Juan from parallel parking to diagonal parking.
Planning stage for a proposal to install a tree-lined meridian on Grand Boulevard as an alternative to diagonal parking.
We will review and discuss item #1, the proposed Parking Structure behind Abbot Kinney facing Electric. In future editions of ImagineVenice.org we will examine items #2 and #3 which are currently being addressed by the Venice Stakeholders Association.
ImagineVenice Parking Structure Proposal
Everyone is very aware of a great need for more and better parking for businesses and all visitors. This includes an urgent need for short-term parking adjacent to Abbot Kinney. We also know that beach goers, day workers and other longer term visitors need to be directed away from parking on our residential streets. However in considering a parking structure, the location, visual impact and size of footprint should be carefully analyzed. The following plan will create multiple zones of purpose-based parking. This includes a well located and scaled parking structure, while maximizing the utilization of existing parking assets.
1. COMPLETE ALL OF THE DEDICATED PARKING LOTS BEHIND ABBOT KINNEY AND INSTALL 2-HOUR METERS IN ALL SPACES.
2. CONSTRUCT THE PROPOSED PRIVATE AUTOMATED PARKING STRUCTURE ON THE MEDIAN STRIP AT ABBOT KINNEY AND VENICE BOULEVARD.
*A well-scaled parking structure on Venice near Abbot Kinney is the perfect location for accessibility by shoppers and diners on Abbot Kinney with optional evening valet service.
* It would offer beach goers good parking and thereby direct them away from our residential neighborhoods
* It could have dedicated 12-hour reduced rate parking for workers on Abbot Kinney thereby directing them away from parking on our residential streets. Locating a large parking structure on Venice, instead of Electric between California and Santa Clara, would eliminate the likelihood that our one-of-a-kind Abbot Kinney District would end up with the ambiance of a shopping mall.
3. INSTALL ADDITIONAL 2-HOUR METERS ON ABBOT KINNEY INSTEAD OF THE LIMITED PARKING MANDATED THERE PRESENTLY.
4. PUSH FORWARD ON APPROVAL FOR OVERNIGHT PARKING DISTRICTS. Request a parking audit by the Coastal Commission of existing and potential parking spaces available for beach goers. An audit will uncover whether or not this is a real issue, especially if there is new parking made available in the proposed Venice parking structure.
Open Letter to Councilman Bill Rosendahl
On December 18, 2012, a letter was sent to our Councilman Bill Rosendahl alerting him to community concerns about the currently being considered proposal for a major parking structure behind Abbot Kinney. In the letter, alternative solutions for our parking dilemma were presented. You will find that letter here in the ImagineVenice Correspondence page. Parking in Venice needs urgent attention. Please express your feelings about this important issue by emailing your ideas and opinions to the following people. Many of you know these people personally, so a note from you on this issue will be well received. But, even if you do not know them, expressions of interest and concern from residents, business owners, property owners and frequent customers of Venice will show the importance of keeping the wishes of the community in mind.
In closing, we especially ask that readers request our own City chartered Venice Neighborhood Council to place Venice’ parking problems on their agenda. Urge a multi-focus plan to leverage existing and new parking to enable acceptable solutions at the earliest moment. Please contact the council at Board@VeniceNC.org.
Venice’s parking problems are real. They need immediate attention with active community input for an aesthetic and cohesive solution. Thanks for being part of the solution.
Warning: include(/index.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/87/9782687/html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5_3/lib/php') in /home/content/87/9782687/html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41