Venice Parking Update
ImagineVenice continues to emphasize the need to make some sense out of Venice’s parking chaos. Our proposals are simple, inexpensive and not political dynamite — and are likely to bring real relief from the immense parking pressures affecting our community.
Parking for workers on Abbot Kinney is a desperate need. There are more than 100 workers who need parking between Hal’s, Casa Linda, Abbots Pizza, Abbots Habit and Gjelina alone. They now take up most the dedicated parking lot spaces behind Abbot Kinney and squeeze into the adjacent residential neighborhoods.
1. We propose re-grading the ‘Centennial Park’ area on the median strip at Abbot Kinney and create a dedicated permit parking lot for workers at a reasonable monthly cost.
2. We urge completion of all of the parking lots already dedicated and funded behind Abbot Kinney and install 4 hour meters on all of them. This is a simple low-cost solution and will immediately provide the shops and restaurants with continuous rapid turnover of parking spaces.
3. We urge the installation of 2 hour meters on Abbot Kinney increasing diner and shopper parking availability. Meters should also reduce the hit and miss parking enforcement aggravation.
4. We support Preferential Parking and Restricted Overnight Parking district choices because such districts are a block by block neighborhood choice determined by a 2/3rd vote of the residents.
5. And lastly, we urge the city to consider building a parking structure on the median strip east of the Venice Library. A structure would expand the parking lot already there and absorb many of the beach goers whose cars fill our residential streets. Besides greatly reducing the summer parking impact on our residential streets it would provide good overflow parking for Abbot Kinney.
Warning: include(/index.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/87/9782687/html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5_3/lib/php') in /home/content/87/9782687/html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41